Thursday, September 6, 2007

Sweet Potato Stew

*1 very large sweet potato, or two medium (hmmm...I'm just realizing we actually used yams. Don't tell my kids that, they think sweet potato sounds yummier)

*1/2 cup chopped onion (we used frozen pre-chopped) - more or less to your taste

*Two 14oz cans of chicken broth (or equivalent seasoned fresh broth)

*One can full of water (about 2 cups)

*1 lb (we used less but it would have been better with more - we used what we had!) tri-color pasta. We used fiori. Pre cooked, rinsed, and set aside.

*1 tomato (large, or two small)

*1 can chick peas, rinsed

*1 tsp cumin

*1/2 tsp curry powder (mild)

*1/4 tsp tumeric

*salt and pepper to taste (we used no salt, the canned broth took care of that :-P)


Put broth and water in large pot on med heat while you dice the yams/sweet potato. Be careful, I can't tell you how many times I have hurt myself trying to cut sweet potatoes! They are sometimes hard and unwieldy. Anyway. Dice them and throw them into the broth.

Add the spices (cumin, curry powder, tumeric). Let simmer for 10 minutes (or until sweet potato is softening). Chop the onions and tomato and throw them in too while the sweet potato is cooking. I did not add the juice of the tomato (or seeds) but that might be yummy. We avoid too much tomato because it inflames my daughter's eczema. Add the chick peas and pasta and let them warm through. (I cooked them about 5 minutes, it didn't seem to do much damage, lol).

We served this on the dry side for the girls, and more like a soup for dh and I. It would go good with crusty bread and a salad, which in our house were left sitting in the fridge. Duh. Guess I was just so excited that a recipe of mine had turned out well. :)

No comments: