Friday, November 12, 2010

Another soup - Leeks, carrots, cabbage

I used homemade stock from a large roaster chicken that I had covered liberally with onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper, so those flavors enhanced the broth. (I know there is a difference between stock and broth...honestly, I'm not sure *what* and I have a feeling what I make is a little of both!)

All measurements approximate - I "eyeball" everything after having done this so often.

About 12 cups of broth
3 medium leeks, cut in half and sliced fine (most of the dark green leaves cut off)
2 cups of baby carrots (or regular) sliced
1/4-1/3 head of cabbage, chopped
heaping TBSP chopped garlic
heaping tsp salt (I used sea salt)
8 oz. small pasta, like orzo - or rice if you prefer

Combine all but pasta/rice, and simmer for 45 minutes or longer (or until desired consistency - I don't usually put veggies in my stock when making it so I like to simmer them a long time when making the soup). At that point, put the orzo/rice in and cook it according to package directions. I honestly prefer the rice/pasta very overcooked in the soup, it makes it softer. Stir all occasionally. This was simple, tasty, and healthy. It probably would have been good with some of the chopped cooked chicken added back in.

No comments: