Friday, November 4, 2011

Rice and Lentils

We tried a similar dish a few months ago.  Tasted about as good as cardboard -- not sure what I did wrong?  This one was much better and even the children (who balked at it last time) ate it and complimented my cooking. (?!?) ;-)

We ate this with dairy free drop biscuits (recipe follows).

For the Rice and Lentils (fed 2 adults and 5 children with leftovers):

1 medium onion or approximate in frozen chopped onion
olive oil if using fresh onion
1 cup lentils (I used brown)
2 cups white rice
3-4 cups chicken stock (mine had been from a garlicky-spiced chicken - this could be the key to yesterday's success! I make my own - check labels for allergens if you buy from store)
1 cup of water
extra water
1 Tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I think I used a little more)
1 tsp oregano
Cheddar for topping (totally optional - several people had it w/o and said it was fine)


Chop onion and gently saute in a Tbsp or two of olive oil in a big wok or stock pot until soft and clearer.  If using frozen onion (one of my favorite go-to's), just toss in pot and heat up for a few minutes. Adding frozen veggies to oil always results in too much spatter for my tastes so I don't do it if I don't have to.

Add the chicken stock and 1 cup of water, the lentils (rinsed), the rice, and the cumin, cinnamon, and oregano. Stir.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes until rice and lentils are tender. We like it extra cooked. :) Check occasionally and add water if it is drying out before being done...or keep the lid off if the time is up and there is still visible water/broth.  For those that can eat it, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and serve.

If you leave off the cheddar, this is egg, dairy, nut, wheat free.

While that was cooking, I whipped up these (warning, they were dry...but putting this out there for my own memory and to tweak later. I'm no foodie):

Dairy free Drop Biscuits

3 cups white flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 heaping Tbsp dairy/egg free mayo
1/2 tsp salt
3/8 cup safe shortening
enough water to make a barely stirable dough - about a cup?
cinnamon/sugar combo to top

Stir all ingredients except cinnamon/sugar together until fully mixed, but don't overstir - some lumps are OK.
Drop by large spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet, sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar and cook in a 450 F preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.  Serve warm with plenty of butter/safe spread.  These are dairy/egg/nut free, obviously not wheat free unless you sub for the flour.

Comments welcome on how to tweak this recipe for better palatability! (sp? is that even a word? LOL)  I was taking two different recipes, neither of them dairy free, and trying to combine and de-allergenize them.  The *taste* was OK, they were just heavy and dry.  I may try a cooler, longer bake time...that works to rise my dairy/egg free muffins well.


No comments: